This play was one of my favorites ever to design! This was an amazing cast that put on a hilarious show. June in Georgia is hot, hot, hot, so I did my best to make the costumes lightweight but still in Renaissance “style”.
Photos below by Christina Cannon of the Red and Black:
Costume photos below taken by me:
The main part of this costume was a vintage lace layered corset with the tails sewn on the back. She helped stuff and paint the tails and ears as well as tell me exactly what she wanted for the rest, which was all hand made, as well, except for the tank top she wore under the cape. We had to do laces in the back as well as the front to let the extra center tail be centered! ( worn on an elastic waistband) The front being adjustable as well makes it possible for someone other than this tiny 9 year old to wear it in the future as well!! ;) She was worn out at the end of the day. I would say it added between 5-10 lbs!
I really respect both pokemon girls’ decisions to re-create these characters in an age appropriate way, because they have seen a lot of the other interpretations online and most of them were not necessarily kid friendly! They guided me in making their own visions of how a human version of these great characters would look.
Here is one more shot that shows the tails and pretty corset on the adult mannequin:
We are pretty new to the Pokemon world, so I am excited to keep this one around for a long time while we learn more.
I put this into tutorials because I do have patterns for the tails and ears if anyone wants them. (just send me a message) I just used the free images I saw online and drew my version. I bought simple fabric store fur and we painted it using a base color of a rusty red/orange and adding pale yellow till we blended in with the cream fur.
This costume was designed and directed by a four year old pokemon fan. She is also a big fan of purple and cats.
If you are not familiar with Pokemon, I will put a little description in the “misc” category. Basically, the costumes and the word gijinka mean translating the actual animal character into a human with a costume featuring their colors and power or specialty. In Espeon’s case, she is a psychic purple cat, picked immediately by the little one, even though she is not yet playing the game. A purple spinny dress, ears, and the tail were the most desired factors, but the Asian style sleeves were an agreed upon detail. We did some red accents instead of the third eye on her forehead and instead painted the psychic eye detail on the hanging sleeves.
She was in character and enjoyed this first cosplay to it’s fullest!
(oh, and enjoyed winning the costume contest for their category with her fellow pokemon as well!)
Always a fun production!! Rose of Athens revisited Winnie the Pooh for the holidays in 2013 with their performance of “A Holiday Tail”. Some of the previous costumes were still around, with some minor repairs and alterations needed, but I still had to make Tigger, Rabbit, and a few missing heads :) Since I had patterned out the costumes before, and had an intern for this show, it was pretty easy. The family and I even helped make a few of the 700 snowflakes that adorned the set!
That’s me and my littlest on the front row, right. The girls were more than willing to attend dress rehearsals and fittings with me for this show :) Here is a mini piglet version I made for my now 9 year old back when I did Pooh the first time around…
My Rapunzel customer had a special request for the winter of 2013. She was attending Disney on Ice in costume and needed a special jacket or cape to wear. We came up with a gorgeous design, found the perfect matching velveteen/velour, lined it with purple and a special lace trim. It ties at the neck with a velvet ribbon and has a huge hood. It ended up being super thick and warm and a great accessory for the Rapunzel Dress.
Here is the original costume, above ….. and my recreation , below.
I had been wanting to do Rachael for years! ( Like 10 years!). This was finally the year, and I got to wear it for 3 different Halloween events. I am now a pro at the 1940’s style rolls. This was a quick costume, so it is not as fully movie accurate as I will make one day.
I am not going to do a tutorial for this costume, because it was really just a quick remake/ alteration. Here is the basic way I made this:
1. Buy Black Suit
2. Make the rest of the costume
1. buy Black Suit. Longer skirt. Make sure when you flip up the collar, it comes close to closing at your neck.
2. open collar out to make a high neckline (press)
3. tailor jacket to be very fitted through the waist and lower arms
4. add two sets of shoulder pads to the jacket
5. redo buttons
6. add black leather/pleather patches. These are supposed to be some kind of reptile skin. I did the collar, the shoulders, the neck, either side of the waist, and one on each arm. The neck diamond needs to be removable. ( I used double sided sticky velcro !!!) To be movie accurate, there should be 3 on each side of the waist, and three on each arm, and only one shoulder..the left.
7. the OWL. I bought a black halloween prop that had green light up eyes, and painted it with acrylics
7. hair and makeup. (THE KICKER)
For the hair, I would search you tube for pompadour roll, 1940’s victory rolls, hair rolls, etc. I actually used a stuffed “roll” under the front roll since my hair is very thin.
THIS page has lots of snapshots of the hair and makeup on set.
THIS thread has some amazing details of the jacket construction and medallions someone did a few years ago. Better than most others found online. I will be using this when I remake this costume.
And finally, I LOVE this artist rendition of Rachael by Paul X Johnson.