My customer sent me this comic cover image by Brian Bolland as inspiration for a new costume:
She did want it with a little more coverage, boy shorts and shoes and accessories.
I started out with a basic sweetheart neckline corset pattern and extended it to the low hips.
I used 2 layers of liner to make sure where I attached all the leaves to the outer layer would not be uncomfortable. The outer layer was a viney printed green woven cotton. I sewed boning in the seams of the liner, and at the back edges. Next step was attaching ALL the leaves to the outer layer! You can see here that the liner is not attached to the outer layer yet, but I have covered up to about an inch away from the edges of the outer layer in layers of leaves. I started at the top and worked down. This took about 2 huge sprigs of leaves from Michael’s! The ones that are poking out above the raw edge are loose, so I could stick them inside when I sewed it right sides together to the liner. So, next step was to sew the outer to the liner, right sides together, along the side and upper edges (tucking the leaves inside as I went). Leaving the bottom open was an easy way to get it turned right side out without crushing the leaves.
While working on this, I ordered from an awesome site called welovecolors.com. They have 51? colors, I believe and make all kinds of tights, briefs, gloves, etc that match! We ordered boy briefs, tights and opera gloves.
Next step was to topstitch the bottom edge of the corset and stitch on all the leaves around the edges and along the bottom. I added grommets, privacy panel and matching ribbon and the top is done!!
I definitely multitask, so while I was waiting for the we love colors order and finishing the top, I started on the wire necklace. This was twisted wire, rubber clay, paint and fabric flowers.
Once the accessories arrived, ( a perfect match), I cut the fingers off of the gloves (and secured seams), hemmed down to below the elbow, and added as many leaves as I could. These are super stretchy, so the sewing of the leaves proved *challenging* (aka never gonna do THIS again).
After the chore of the gloves, I just had to sew leaves onto thick leather boots, (OMG and OUCH). Here are a couple of shots of the whole costume minus the tights. I wish you could see the hairpiece better. I sewed leaves and white flowers onto twine and attached to a clip. (Disregard the black wig… it was the best I had at the time).
And here is the pretty back, and a closer shot of the hairpiece and gloves(still doesn’t show much, sorry).
I hope to add some customer shots soon, if she is willing to share 🙂
This classic Star Wars costume is one of the best known, but this was actually the first time I have been asked to create one!
It is shown without the silver squares on the belt, but I made those out of rubber clay and hand stitched them to the leather belt.
The dress was TWO layers of a light poly blend jersey with lots of movement and drape. I used the Padawan’s Guide, as usual when researching patterns, fabrics and upclose pictures. The hardest part of this was getting the perfect drape on the “hood” which is not even really a hood! It ended up being perfect!