I’m getting behind on posting here on the blog.. mostly trying to keep up on Instagram, but wanted to get here here before I lost the pics! This year was split 1/2 with my friend Robin, and 1/2 with my youngest. The teenager opted out of going this year:(
I brought old standby classic Wonder Woman, comfy Spider Gwen, my teenager’s Riverdale Veronica, as well as a few new exciting costumes! Lady Death Bunny was my super cool bunny hutch costume, the green Absinthe fairy, the sand snakes from Game of thrones for Robin and I, Margot Tennenbaum, AND …. Eleven from Stranger things and Mary Poppins for the 8 year old!
She did the Masquerade costume contest and although she didn’t win, was inspired to make her own costume for next year and do it again! We packed a lot in, and had more fun than ever this year.
Highlights were hanging with Wonder Woman Artist George Perez and the WW photo shoot, brushing shoulders (almost ) with Peter Capaldi (while waiting to enter his panel), and everyone loving my little Mary Poppins!
Getting the hotel room for Tuesday/chill out day was a bonus. It’s quite a hard transition back to real life after such a thing like dragoncon!
I made a newer version of the B v S Wonder Woman costume. It is foam over a corset base. The boots and accessories were made or worbla (still getting the hang of working with this.) My Steve was just a thrown together outfit and some tee shirt leg wraps 😉 it rained so we didn’t do the Wild Rumpus Athens Parade.
This is my favorite Leia outfit and have been wanting to make it for years. Unfortunately, I never could find a vintage white snowsuit, so had to start from scratch! Here are a few of my favorite reference photos that I used (as well as the Padawan’s Guide). It is basically a white suit with belt and quilted panels with a cream vest and grey boots. As of now, the costume is not complete because I
had to wanted to wear it before the vest was finished! I will update the bottom of the post once the whole thing is complete and I have more photos 🙂
I had made a pattern for a one piece suit when I did the Dune still suit that was about my size, so this is what I started with. It took many alterations once pieced together, but was easy to do since it was for me! It was a vintage pattern from the 80’s merged with the “Elvis style” zip front suit pattern.
The wrist communicator and the ID for the vest were made out of sculpy and hand painted with acrylics. I used reference photos found online for these and just made sure to make my pockets for them fit the areas on my patterns. I glued them onto fabric squares that were smaller than the outlying edges of the pieces, then sewed the fabric onto the correct places on the suit.
The taupe/grey boots were a score on ebay. It was hard to find ones that were leather, with a wedge heel, and in my size, but I got lucky one week. I made simple grey vinyl covers that were open up the front and added velcro strips around to hold them in place.
To make her hairstyle, I just made two long braids behind the ears and wrapped and tucked them around. I had ordered a “braid headband” that did not arrive on time, but my hair was just long enough to look ok without it.
The scuply pieces were finished weeks before these shots, but had to do the suit in just one day! I sort of want to go back and redo a few things.. finish it nicer, but think it will probably have to do. Here are some of the shots
More to come shortly!
Here is a photo of the finished vest… Later this year I will be able to add more pictures of the completed suit.